Miracle Gro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 il_cacciatore

il_cacciatore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Grapes, wines, beers, shooting, photography, motorcycles.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hello.

I have thought of putting some miracle gro on my vines to give them a boost. Is it a good idea? I have them in pots just now because of the uncertainty of a house move so they are in rich soil but will some miracle gro give them an added boost or will it just do damage?

Cheers smile.gif
American grapes are a forbidden fruit in my country and because of this; my conscience tells me that they must be cool.

#2 Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Hollywood Hill Vineyards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Interests:Grapegrowing and winemaking of course!

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (il_cacciatore @ May 1 2007, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello.

I have thought of putting some miracle gro on my vines to give them a boost. Is it a good idea? I have them in pots just now because of the uncertainty of a house move so they are in rich soil but will some miracle gro give them an added boost or will it just do damage?

Cheers smile.gif

A little balanced fertilizer won't hurt the first couple of years to get them started, but if you have rich soil fertilizing later on is something you want to avoid.

Steve Snyder
Owner/Winemaker/Grower
www.hollywoodhillvineyards.com

#3 Herb_08161947

Herb_08161947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Bees, Honey, Vineyards, Growing Sorghum, General Horticulture

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (il_cacciatore @ May 1 2007, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello.

Cheers smile.gif

I believe miracle gro is a 15-30-15 fertilizer. Do you want to add that to an already rich soil. It seems to me that vines in a rich soil often have a bit of a vigor problem. A friend of mine recently told me that he would never add any amendments to his soil without a petiole analysis - I am beginning to believe him.

Herb
Herb McIntyre
Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu Melekh ha‑olam, bo're p'ri ha‑gafen.
Retired and growing grapes near the coast of NC
34°46'43.13"N 78°29'9.65"W

#4 knotsorich

knotsorich

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes and making wine.

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Herb_08161947 @ May 1 2007, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe miracle gro is a 15-30-15 fertilizer. Do you want to add that to an already rich soil. It seems to me that vines in a rich soil often have a bit of a vigor problem. A friend of mine recently told me that he would never add any amendments to his soil without a petiole analysis - I am beginning to believe him.

Herb

Since they are in pots, I wouldn't worry about excessive vigor. They will get rootbound after a while and that will slow them down. Small amounts of fertilizer might be prudent in pots, since there is limited soil fetility capacity-determined by the pot size. If you water to the point of drip-through, you will leach the available fertilizer out. Watch the leaf color and you can supplement fert as needed.

#5 fernvally

fernvally

Maker of big messes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Music - Listening and Playing Growing Stuff Travel Old stuff Trying to figure out our kids

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Yes to what not so said.

I used the same on some of my experimental sets three years ago. This was after they were put in th ground. Yes it was very good for them. However I have not repeated.

In the pot, you may want to consider putting in larger pots this year depending on circumstance. Don't over do it with the fert.
Dear Lord, Forgive me and thankyou.

#6 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13314 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Fert is a good thing for pots. Be careful of overdoing it. A little is good, more is not necessarily better.

The vines will get pot bound quickly and growth will be limited no matter how good the fert is.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users