• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Heavner

Eric Heavner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

I'd like to make some fruit wines for the Christmas season. A marionberry, raspberry and maybe a cranberry. I'll be using the Vintner's Harvest stuff. How long should these age? Are they drinkable within a month, 6, 9?

How can I improve these over 'standard' recipes? What's the preferred yeast to use for each? I like a clean, fruity taste, crisp with moderate alc content.

Thanks!

Eric

#2 Climber

Climber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Interests:Mountain climbing; photography; gold prospecting, and wine making since Jan 05.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Eric,

I make most all fruit wines and from what I've read and learned on this forum, most fruit wines really need to age about a year to reach it's potential. I think this Christmas would be pushing it. It probably would be fine, but next Christmas would be even better! tongue.gif

As far as improving a standard recipe, I like to add 25-50% extra fruit, and sweeten it back when it's done fermenting with either fresh or frozen juice of the same type. Using fresh fruit, I always freeze extra for later on and thaw it and extract all the juice I can. By stirring some sugar into the thawed fruit and letting it sit awhile, will aid in getting more juice. Just be careful you don't over sweeten your wine.

As far as yeast choices, I've used Montrachet on blackberry (close to Marionberry); Raspberry - ICV D47; and on cranberry...I don't know...haven't made that one yet, but from a recipe I see I would use Montrachet.

Hope this helps,

Larry
<i><b>Wines I've made</b>:</i> Blackberry; Citrus; Sparkling apple cider; Thompson grape; Raspberry; Strawberry; Blueberry; Salal berry; Welch's Concord; Dandelion. Coffee; Chocolate covered cherry; Caramel apple pie; Lemon Liqueur; Oregon grape; Wild rose hip; Blueberry liqueur; Strawberry melomel; Plum; Strawberry-Rhubarb; Raspberry Liqueur; Mint liqueur; Concord grape; Blackberry port; Banana; Chocolate Strawberry; Key lime-a-rita; Black Cherry-Concord; Forest Berry Blend; Cranberry.

#3 jca

jca

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1079 posts
  • Interests:personal chef; environmental engineer(retired); home winemaking; home improvements

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Climber @ Mar 22 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as improving a standard recipe, I like to add 25-50% extra fruit, and sweeten it back when it's done fermenting with either fresh or frozen juice of the same type. Using fresh fruit, I always freeze extra for later on and thaw it and extract all the juice I can.

Absolutely. More fruit is the way to go.
Jack
Dinners Your Way, Personal Chef Service
Courage: Enduring The Unendurable With Dignity
My fashion sense is based mostly on what doesn't itch. - Gilda Radner
Some mistakes in life are too much fun to make only once. - Vic Milligan

#4 Texvino

Texvino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

The guy at the local brew shop warned me that fruit wines will not stay as long as grape reds or whites. I want to say that he quoted them staying good for 6-8 months after bottling(I may be underestimating this) but most of the people I've seen on this forum have recommended aging the wine for much longer than that. Any truth or experience to this? I'd like to be able to age some of my wine for a year if possible. Thanks

#5 fernvally

fernvally

Maker of big messes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Music - Listening and Playing Growing Stuff Travel Old stuff Trying to figure out our kids

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:19 AM

Aging depends on so many variables. Sweet wines might not age as long as dry wines. Higher TA will need to age longer,. Tannins and of course the amount of Free SO2 will help with aging a wine. I have an Apple Cranberry which I think is just now peaking and I bottled it late 05.

Fern
Dear Lord, Forgive me and thankyou.

#6 joeae

joeae

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Waterpolo, Pot Plants, Music from Operas to Elvis.

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hi,

What is the genral rule (longest time) to keep fruit wines in carboys and in bottle.

Joe

#7 lockwood1956

lockwood1956

Happily Bimbling Along

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5558 posts
  • Interests:Music, Wine making, Grape growing, Golf

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Hey Joe

I drank some 10 year old elderberry a little while ago and it was just wonderful, if you follow a srtict regime when it comes to santitation and make sure the wine is prepared for aging (in regard to sulphite) then i dont see why you cant age your fruit wines for several years

regards
Bob
Bob Morton N.G.W.B.J.(National Guild of Wine and Beer Judges)
Chairman: Yorkshire Federation of Amateur Winemakers and Brewers
Acting Secretary: Yorkshire Federation of Amateur Winemakers and Brewers

#8 Wade

Wade

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Wood working, and being a father.

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

Corks, consistant tetemp around 55 and no vibration will make a big difference also. Standard corks are 2-5 years so either use better corks or recork them after a few years. Ascorbic acid will also help to keep the wine from oxidising and keeping their color from browning. I tried the Vintners Marionberry and I didnt think it was very good. Their best is the Black Currant in my opinion. This one is awesome.
http://www.sbranch.net/EvansCellars/
Id Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Then A Frontal Lobotomy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users