15 replies to this topic

#1 luckyinkentucky

luckyinkentucky

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

Is everything I am hearing about the Kenridge Showcase wine kits true, or is it all hype in order to justify paying $125 for a kit? I haven't heard any solid reviews on them, but just what I hear from retailers who are trying to sell them. I realize that at around $4 a bottle it should be good for the price, but will I get the quality of a $20 bottle from the Kenridge that some claim? Your thoughts?

#2 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Gee, I think I answered this recently elsewhere.

Regardless, let me ask a couple of questions.

Q1: What kit was Best in Show Kit/Concentrate at the recent Winemaker Awards?
Q2: What does Winexpert Selection International cost in your area?

A1: Ken Ridge Showcase Italian Amarone.
A2: I don't know.

Basically the KRS are equivalent to the Selection International kits. Which are better? It probably depends on your taste buds.

No solid reviews here. That's because these kits have limited distribution in the US.

I don't like to compare kit wines to commercial wines because it's very personal. The KRS German Gewurztraminer is an excellent wine.

Steve
the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
"why do today what you can put off till next week"

#3 Ludo

Ludo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

Hello Lucky,

I have made 6 Kenridge Showcase Kits now and am very proud of the end results. For me they have honostly been worth the cost we pay for them here in Canada. I keep them for special occations and then make lower cost kits for regular drinking. The part that I have problems with is letting them age up to 1 year, the longest I have been able to wait so long is 8 months which was not as long as planned. We have one now that is bulk ageing and is 3 months old and has only been tested. The kits are costing me just short of $100.00 Canadian, so it works out to about $3.00 a bottle. Would I spend $4.00 a bottle? Yes I would now that I know how good they can be if left alone. This is my opinion for what it is worth.
Happy Fermenting.
Ludo

#4 Envchemist

Envchemist

The best wine I ever had---I made!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Chemistry, reading, baking, camping, walking

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:02 AM

I don't think $125 is that bad--I'm paying $135 for a WE kit that is not available--but will be in SOON. I'm betting my HBS is ordering from Purple Toes, so I'll probably ask him when soon is. Sigh.

I'm going to pick up the Kenridge kit sometime this year. From what I understand the one distributor here in the States does not charge very high shipping which does help!

Nydia
Primary: Selection Blackberry Port; Secondary--Patty's CC Old Vines Zin--Stablized: Selection: Monteplulciano (mine); and Pattys: EP Pinot Noir, CC Amarone, CC Rosso Fort. Her son is getting married!

#5 Improvino

Improvino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Making and drinking wine, Playing guitar,reading on everything. rts games.

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

I can have the showcase list price 89.95 since I always buy 3-4 kits I pay less than that.( 10-15% less ) . we internationnal under 105.00 nope and discounts are very low. Since w.e and vineco have the same owner do they have so différents products? I don't know but I find them quite alike and both very good.
Bernard

#6 GKupris

GKupris

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

I have three KenRidge wine kits in process now and I am very pleased. Now I must decide which one to get next. Always open to suggestions...Gary
I use Enological Tannins and Enzymes, Biolees/Surlees, Stavin Oak, Nutrients, Innovative Yeast strains, Sunmaid Raisins/Currents and Grape packs when I craft my wines. Gary

#7 luckyinkentucky

luckyinkentucky

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

Actually I did my research, and found that the RJ Spagnols 'En Premiur' line is a better bang for your buck. Not to mention that 85% of their premier line has won international awards .... some of them Platinum. I mgiht try one of the Kenridge premier lines soon, but for now I think Spagnols is what I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

#8 Rob

Rob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts
  • Interests:Dirt track racing, wine making

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

The En Premiur series from RJS is in a higher catagory than the KenRidge Showcase. I would consider it in the Ultra Premuim level, where the KRS is only in the Premuim level. If you want to compare apples to apples, the KenRidge Founders series, would be a better comparison. They both come with 18L. of concintrate/juice. KR Showcase only has 16L.

Having said that, I have made the KenRidge Showcase Gwurtz, and it is the best $72 I ever spent...on a white wine kit anyway. wink.gif Did I mention I prefer red?! tongue.gif

If you can get the EP for the same price as the KRS, than I agree with you. You are getting a better bang for your buck. If the EP costs the same as the KR Founders Series, well then I would suggest getting both, and then you can decide.

Rob
Pavement's for driving on, dirt's for racing!

#9 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (luckyinkentucky @ Jan 12 2007, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I did my research, and found that the RJ Spagnols 'En Premiur' line is a better bang for your buck. Not to mention that 85% of their premier line has won international awards .... some of them Platinum. I mgiht try one of the Kenridge premier lines soon, but for now I think Spagnols is what I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

How did you find out about these International Platinum awards? Can you point me to the results?

BTW, you might want to look at the Ken Ridge Founders Series kits with Harvest Crush grape skin packs. Currently available in Italian Tuscany Brunello and French Languedoc Grenache/SYrah/Mourvedre.

Thanks, Steve

#10 Ludo

Ludo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (cpfan @ Jan 13 2007, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How did you find out about these International Platinum awards? Can you point me to the results?

BTW, you might want to look at the Ken Ridge Founders Series kits with Harvest Crush grape skin packs. Currently available in Italian Tuscany Brunello and French Languedoc Grenache/SYrah/Mourvedre.

Thanks, Steve

#11 luckyinkentucky

luckyinkentucky

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

Also, I picked up a 'RJ Spagnols Restricted Quantity Cru Select Platinum Pinot Noir' kit today with a small discount! biggrin.gif From what I hear the Restricted Quantity wines are in very limited quantity. I can't find any reviews on them yet, but they are supposed to be the creme de la creme of the wine kits available to the public.

#12 Rob

Rob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts
  • Interests:Dirt track racing, wine making

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

I can't find any reviews on them yet,

Your not going going to find any reviews on any paticular kit, because no one has made them yet. smile.gif

but they are supposed to be the creme de la creme of the wine kits available to the public

That depends on the manufacture. Some market them as their Ultra Premuim kit like Cellar Craft and Meglioli, and some have them below this level like W/E, and RJS. Regardless, I don't think you will be dissappointed in these kits. They are usually very good.

Rob
Pavement's for driving on, dirt's for racing!

#13 Martin

Martin

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2350 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Improvino @ Jan 12 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can have the showcase list price 89.95 since I always buy 3-4 kits I pay less than that.( 10-15% less ) . we internationnal under 105.00 nope and discounts are very low. Since w.e and vineco have the same owner do they have so différents products? I don't know but I find them quite alike and both very good.

Vineco is produced in St. Catharines, Ontario and Winexpert in Port Coquitlam, while they share the same parent they do fight in the marketplace like brothers and sisters. I know from experience.

Martin

#14 cpfan

cpfan

Kits are My Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4917 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Lucky in Kentucky:

Yes nine En Primeur kits won awards at the 2006 Winemaker International Awards - none were Platinum. WHY? Because they don't give out a platinum award.

FYI, Ken Ridge Showcase also won awards at this competition, including Best of Show Kit/Concentrate

Perhaps you were confused by the name of their other line Cru Select PLATINUM.

California Pinot Noir...if you truly have an RQ copy of this, then the kit is probably over a year old. I recommend that you make it right away. It is possible that you have a newer kit because the Calif PN was added to the full time line up this past fall, so no longer in limited supply.

Steve

#15 GKupris

GKupris

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:42 AM

Some information on Ken Ridge wine Kits.Vineco is Best of Show!
Vineco International Products has once again solidified it’s position as a leader in the Canadian Home Wine Industry after recently capturing 2 Best of Show Awards and 76 medals at North America's largest amateur wine competition. The 2006 edition of the WineMaker Magazine International Amateur Wine Competition represented the largest and most diverse collection of amateur wines ever assembled. The WineMaker Competition, which was held between April 28 and 30, included over 2,417 entries from over 40 American states and 8 Canadian provinces. This competition is also the only wine competition of its kind to pit wines made from grapes versus wines made from kits in a blind tasting.
Vineco, producers of such recognizable wine kit brands as KenRidge®, Legacy, Bin 49® and Niagara Mist®, came away with 18 Gold Medals, 29 Silver Medals and 29 Bronze Medals (see attached sheet for complete list).
Medals were awarded based on the University of California-Davis 20-point wine scale system. Judging panels used the UC-Davis scale to go through over 450 flights of wines and evaluate appearance, aroma, taste, aftertaste and overall impression.
The medals awarded to Vineco wine kits were the result of hard work from dedicated consumers from across Canada. Two very special Vineco wines were awarded Best of Show Medals. They were the KenRidge Showcase Italian Amarone for Best Kit/Concentrate made wine and the Niagara Mist Tangerine Pinot Grigio for Best Sparkling made wine.
For a complete list of Vineco Award Winners please visit the Resources section of this website and look for Award Winners.
I use Enological Tannins and Enzymes, Biolees/Surlees, Stavin Oak, Nutrients, Innovative Yeast strains, Sunmaid Raisins/Currents and Grape packs when I craft my wines. Gary

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users