Photo

5 Gallon Glass Carboys - Cheapest Source?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Iowa Guy

Iowa Guy

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, hunting, fishing, canoeing, backpacking, astronomy, philosophy

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi, I'm a rookie winemaker looking to invest in a few 5 gallon carboys. There are no local winemaking supply shops out here in rural Western Iowa, so I'm looking for the best deal online. The shipping cost is pretty steep on these things, anyone found the lowest absolute price including shipping? I've checked around to all the local thrift stores and small wineries and can't find any used ones :-( Any input would be greatly appreciated... How did you build up your inventory of carboys?

Thanks,
Iowa Guy

#2 jwingo

jwingo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

I really like the better bottle plastic carboys, they cost about the same and are way lighter to ship.....Other then that you can try and see if there are any water companies that still use glass carboys.
the shipping on those things can make the price insane to buy online.
Jeff
Just another rawk star/music teacher/Financial Performance Analyst who makes wine and loves to drink.

#3 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9629 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hi Iowa Guy,

I can't believe there would not be a brew shop within driving distance. Do you live near any of the following cities?

Sioux Falls, SDSioux City, IA
  • Hopski's Home Brew
    523 W 19th St
    Sioux City, IA 51103
    (712) 258-0691
Des Moines, IA
  • Heartland Homebrew Supply
    1042 73rd St
    Des Moines, IA 50311
    (515) 223-7797
Omaha, NEI don't know if any of these places are still in business or not. I just pulled them off the web.

Steve

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#4 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:burningman <br />winemaking<br />mead making<br />

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Iowa Guy @ Dec 22 2006, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'm a rookie winemaker looking to invest in a few 5 gallon carboys. There are no local winemaking supply shops out here in rural Western Iowa, so I'm looking for the best deal online. The shipping cost is pretty steep on these things, anyone found the lowest absolute price including shipping? I've checked around to all the local thrift stores and small wineries and can't find any used ones :-( Any input would be greatly appreciated... How did you build up your inventory of carboys?

Thanks,
Iowa Guy

i'm guessing you know what you want, but why five gallon carboys? if it's for kits, they are mostly require six. if it is to make from scratch ingredients, i would go for six. pretty much same labor, slightly more materials, 5 more bottles!
bill keiser
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of brewers

#5 daveb50

daveb50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Camping, Radio Control Airplanes, Winemaking

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:29 PM

I have some Better Bottles, and they work very well, other than you cannot vaccuum degas in them.
I found some glass 5 gallon carboys at chain store called "Old Time Pottery", for $13 apiece.
Dave
2007 Wines: Cranberry, Montmorency Cherry, RJS Petite Syrah, CC Red Mountain Cabernet,
WE Barberesco, Hard Raspberry Lemonade, CC Tempranillo/Cabernet, HB Barolo, HB Bergamais, RJS Bush Vine Grenache

Quickly bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may whet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

#6 Iowa Guy

Iowa Guy

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, hunting, fishing, canoeing, backpacking, astronomy, philosophy

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

How much does a full 6 gallon carboy weigh? I make my wine from fruit from my garden, so the size isn't critical, but I had thought that a few pound lighter carboy might be easier to handle. I currently have four 3 gallon carboys, but would like to make larger batches to gain efficiency.

Thanks,
Iowa Guy

#7 Greg_S

Greg_S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Iowa Guy @ Dec 22 2006, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much does a full 6 gallon carboy weigh?

Water weighs approximately 8.3 pounds per gallon. I guessing wine weighs about the same. So figure 50 pounds for a full 6 gallon carboy (plus the weight of the glass) and a little less than 42 pounds for 5 gallons.

Greg

#8 Vintage Harbour Winery

Vintage Harbour Winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

IowaGuy-

Just FYI, I have been to the supplier in Des Moines, and my first opinion was he was rude and unhelpful, 2nd impression his prices were quite steep.

E.C Kraus out of Kansas City offers FREE shipping with orders over $25. Their 5Gal and 6Gal Car. are $22-$25. Might check them out.

#9 sharpstick

sharpstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:burningman <br />winemaking<br />mead making<br />

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Vintage Harbour Winery @ Dec 22 2006, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
E.C Kraus out of Kansas City offers FREE shipping with orders over $25. Their 5Gal and 6Gal Car. are $22-$25. Might check them out.

going for low price by froogle, shipping unknown
5 gal $17.25
http://www.google.co...414744220598928
6.5 gal $21
http://www.google.co...073404966580463
$20 & $22 for 5 and 6 gal, and 5 or 6 gal better-bottle for $19:
http://www.heartshom...mp;p=fermenters
"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world." Saint Arnold of Metz, patron saint of brewers

#10 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2360 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Iowa Guy @ Dec 22 2006, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,
Iowa Guy

When I got into winemaking, many years ago, I saw advertised 20 litre green glass carboys (just over 5 U.S. gallons) being sold by a wine importer. You might see if there are any such deals in your area. They were pretty inexpensive at the time.
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#11 kyjake

kyjake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

Dave,
Do you know if Old time pottery keeps these in stock?I will be in the area Dec.30 and will look up the store and buy a few.
Thanks
Jake

#12 daveb50

daveb50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Grandkids, Camping, Radio Control Airplanes, Winemaking

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

Jake, Yes, they have stocked them for at least the past year. I bought two more in October, they had plenty of stock then. They are located 1/2 mile South of the Florence Mall, on Mall Road.
Dave
2007 Wines: Cranberry, Montmorency Cherry, RJS Petite Syrah, CC Red Mountain Cabernet,
WE Barberesco, Hard Raspberry Lemonade, CC Tempranillo/Cabernet, HB Barolo, HB Bergamais, RJS Bush Vine Grenache

Quickly bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may whet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

#13 Vinomaker

Vinomaker

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1166 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, wine drinking, visiting wineries, talking wine, also hunting & fishing.

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

Look up some of the bottled water suppliers. Some of them still use 5 gal glass. I have gotten several of them from Anita Water Co. in Louisville for $8 each. If you see any of the water bottle stands in an office, ask where the get the water or ask if you can buy an empty bottle for the deposit.

Vinomaker

#14 Little Blind Guy

Little Blind Guy

Often Mistaken for Bacchus

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2492 posts
  • Interests:I'm actually rather boring...

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:46 AM

Iowa Guy - I hear you on the cost of having a carboy shipped. Up until a few months ago I had no other choice than to order my carboys online and pay the price. I purchased most of my carboys from Northern Brewer mainly because if I ordered them before noon I would have them on my door step the very next day.

The closest supply stores to me are the ones in Des Moines (two hours away) and a small little town north west of Cedar Falls (about an hour and a half away). I can have my supplies shipped to me for less than what it would cost for me to drive to their stores. Lucky for me, a Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits/Drug Store in Cedar Rapids which is 25 miles from my house has begun carrying basic home brew and wine making supplies. I am in Cedar Rapids at least once a week so I don't have to make a special trip in. Plus, I buy quite a bit of my everyday wines there. They do have a decent selection. I have to pay about two dollars more for a carboy than I would had I ordered it online and I also have to pay 5% sales tax which I would not have to if ordered online, but I am still saving about ten dollars because I do not have to pay for the shipping. The manager of the store told me that since he has started carrying these supplies, he has sold three to four carboys a week.
Martin Blind

Find me on Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users