28 replies to this topic

#1 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4020 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

I went the other day to my Step-Dad's house and he has a small vine of Lambrusco grapes growing. He had about 10 lbs of fruit growing on th vines, but when I check to see how they were doing I was very shocked! There were only a few grapes on the entire vines, picked clean! I didnt think at first but I looked down and on the ground were alot of grape skins. His theory was that since it has been very dry out as of lately that the squirrel's may have ventured into them since only the inside appeared to be missing. Need I mind his house is ajacent to an acre of black walnut trees. So, you think this could be the case?

croat
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#2 causeofhim

causeofhim

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:37 AM

My father has Concords and had the exact same problem this year. I assumed it was the birds.
Bottled:
Wild Grape Port, Hard Lemonade, Apple, HB Pinot Grigio, WE Meza Luna, gals Rice & Rasin/Concord, Wild Grape, AO Mead, Rice & Rasin, strawberry, #29 Dandelion, #30 Dandelion, HB Strawberry Zin, HB Blueberry Blush, A/blueberry mead, coffee, montgomery cherry, WE cream sherry, HOT pepper, Tomato, black rasp. mead, Foch, Concord/Foch, Wild Grape, HB Amarone, WE Montagnac Viex Chateau d'Oc, WE Chilean Maipo Valley Carmenere/Cab Sauvignon, CC Riesling Ice Wine, HB Bergamais, HB Gewürztraminer, HB Peach Chardonnay.

#3 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4020 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:54 AM

That could be a possibility as well!
Bastard!

Looks like some nets are in need for placement next year. Either that or we will be doing a bit of hunting wink.gif
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#4 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

Yes, squirrels eat grapes, and almost anything else, they are rodents.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#5 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

I suppose it could be squirrels but with the skins laying on the ground I'd bet on possums. That's been my experience. See if there are any whole grapes on the ground and if so, are there two tiny puncher marks on the skin. If there are then it's probably squirrels.

#6 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4020 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

Noppers, looks like someone squezed the pulp out and put the skins in a pile below. The bird theory is a good one as well, no possoms round these parts.

#7 Rob C

Rob C

Advanced Member

• WinePress.US Book Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (croat @ Sep 14 2006, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noppers, looks like someone squezed the pulp out and put the skins in a pile below. The bird theory is a good one as well, no possoms round these parts.

I've seen this with my Highbush Blueberries. The birds are the only ones that get to them.

#8 Summersolstice

Summersolstice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:Reading, coffee roasting, wine and mead making, brewing, walking, travel

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:28 AM

Damn squirrels! I have a small apple tree that was very productive this year. For the past month a squirrel has been climbing the tree and testing to see if the apples are ripe. Each week I find a couple of apples that have had bites taken out of them. I can actually see the teeth marks in the apples.

Squirrels do indeed eat anything. Believe it or not, they also eat baby chicks they take from nests. That's why they're always being dive bombed by adult birds.

#9 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4020 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

I know they are tree rats, thats why I make me some tree rat stew every December when I go out in the woods for a few days and collect a pot of squiiels wink.gif Its a nice warm soup based off of V8, very hearty with beans and potatoes .... perfect for the end of a good small game hunt!

#10 JohniusMaximus

JohniusMaximus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (croat @ Sep 14 2006, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know they are tree rats, thats why I make me some tree rat stew every December when I go out in the woods for a few days and collect a pot of squiiels wink.gif Its a nice warm soup based off of V8, very hearty with beans and potatoes .... perfect for the end of a good small game hunt!

Now I've got the craving to go squirrel hunting. I haven't been since last Fall.

Yeah those little buggers eat anything. I watched a few demolish a persimmon tree while I was deer hunting one morning. I swear they picked it clean.

#11 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

Yep. They are wonderful also smoked up with some leftover oak cubes from any wine. Don't throw your spent oak away. Lay it out to dry then put in a ziplock in the freezer until use. Adds killer flavor to any meat.

http://cookshack1.re.../groupee/forums
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

#12 Jheherrin

Jheherrin

In wine, one beholds the heart of another...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Interests:Wine (duh)
    Astronomy
    Farming, Fishing & Foodie
    Cooking esp Thai/Indian
    Organics
    Photography
    Graphics & Vid Editing

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

Cool! I'll try that on the next rabbit I shoot! We are inundated with them in this area this year...
Viv :)
Clean Green Rural New Zealand

"Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons,
that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking"

#13 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Use a varmint rifle with a scope to pop them dead in the head. Saves the meat. I love me some young rodent fried, with dumplings, smoked, any which way!
REBEL

#14 maseratiman

maseratiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Hippie @ Sep 14 2006, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use a varmint rifle with a scope to pop them dead in the head. Saves the meat. I love me some young rodent fried, with dumplings, smoked, any which way!

Now what wine is appropriate to go with smoked rodent?

-Marc
Marc... AKA pomice, grappa, wine mud, crap left over from fermentation.....

#15 stevec

stevec

Idiot Savant (or perhaps just idiot)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

I don't know about wine, but a German Rauschbier kicks butt with anything from the smoker!

Steve
With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fighting's all about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users