• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Garden Mom

Garden Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. I'm getting ready to make this year's batch of blackberry wine. We recently moved, and I used to use Lalvin RC212. The local beer/wine shop only carries Red Star yeast. They recommended I use Montrachet. Has anyone used this yeast before? I've always liked the results from the Lalvin. Would I expect to see any difference with the Montrachet?

Thanks for any info.

GardenMom

#2 leiavoia

leiavoia

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1513 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

Montrachet produces more instances of icky H2S (rotten egg) than other yeasts. It does not always do this, but is possible.

I've used Premier Cuvee and K1V-1116 before. Both are good, but i'm actually leaning more towards the Premier Cuvee. I don't often recommend PC. It will ferment up to a really high alcohol level and leave a very dry wine. Some people like blackberry wine to taste like a blackberry, sweet and sugary. I think i actually prefer it dry after having done it 3 different ways now.

Pretty much any yeast will make a decent blackberry wine, but if you want a dry wine, go with PC. If you want something fruitier and sweeter, try Cote des Blancs.

#3 Jheherrin

Jheherrin

In wine, one beholds the heart of another...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Interests:Wine (duh)
    Astronomy
    Farming, Fishing & Foodie
    Cooking esp Thai/Indian
    Organics
    Photography
    Graphics & Vid Editing

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:02 AM

My absolute choice without compromise for berry wines is 71B-1122.
It metabolises some malic acid; so reducing your total acid which can be quite high in berry wines.
It also retains fruit aromas and flavours really really well.

But be aware it allows concurrent malolactic fermentation; so if you want to avoid this take the appropriate steps such as lysozyme, and very good hygiene practices and correct SO2 levels.
Viv :)
Clean Green Rural New Zealand

"Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons,
that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking"

#4 Rob C

Rob C

Advanced Member

• WinePress.US Book Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:24 AM

I did a little research before I started my Blackberry, and I went with the 212 like you usually do. What I did find is that it seems that Red Star's Pasteur Red is their closest strain to the Lalvin RC-212. So if you want something similar, I suggest that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users