#1 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

I am curious whether anyone has heard of any problems with the 2006 California Grape crops. We have had some strange things happening with our various fruit trees this year in the SFO Bay Area. My peach, apricot and plum trees have pretty much dropped every piece of fruit. My neighbors cherry trees had cherries but they all dropped before ripening. Raspberry plants had blossoms but they dried up and did not set fruit. In the case of the raspberries the new growth is vigorous and green with no sign of bugs etc. In 30 years, I have never seen this before.

I am just curious whether anyone near any of the vineyards has seen or heard anything that would indicate what kind of crop they are looking at this year?

..Doyle
(Worry Wart!)

#2 Andy in SoCal

Andy in SoCal

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Doyle, so far what I've heard is pretty positive. At this point, during flowering/fruit set, I think the growers generally want warm sunny weather and that's mostly what they're getting.

Here's a thread on this exact topic on a different board: Harvest 2006

Andy
Andy Coradeschi
Cellarmasters Home Wine Making Club
www.CellarmastersLA.org

"Wine is light, held together by water." Galileo

#3 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Andy,

That thread had all the detail and more than I was looking for. Really a great thread. Sounds like the harvest is going to be little late this year and hopefully no rain in the fall. I guess I can plan a quick little vacation trip to Italy in early September without missing any of the harvest. I have told my wife that we need to be here when the grapes start coming in.

..Doyle

#4 Andy in SoCal

Andy in SoCal

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

Italy? Sounds wonderful. Where? Piemonte? Chianti? Funny that we visualize some other countries mostly by their wine regions...

Andy
Andy Coradeschi
www.CellarmastersLA.org

#5 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

I think this time we will just do a short trip, maybe 10-14 days and hit Rome and the Amalfi Coast, although my wife has a hard time going without spending some time in Florence. We love the late meals and great wine. We can drink Brunello for the price that we pay for average wines in restaurants here. Their restaurants do not mark the wine up like it is here so you can get really great wines there in the $30-$50 range although that was a few years ago. I am sure prices are up pretty significantly.

By the way, did you do a Zin from the Paso region this last year? If so, how is it coming along? We are going to do a couple Zins this year and I wanted to find out about what quality level Zin grapes were available from that region. I am a firm believer in buying the best grapes I can get my hands on. Too many guys in the club up here are getting free or very low cost grapes and producing what I would consider pretty mediocre wines.

..Doyle

#6 Andy in SoCal

Andy in SoCal

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

Yep. I did a zin from w. paso, and it's the best wine I've made. I got the grapes from a commercial winemaker who swore me to secrecy - he's concerned that if other bigger players knew where he got his grapes, they'd blow his deal with the grower...

Anyway, the problem I'm having is the ph was so low - 3.03 - that it wouldn't go through ML, so I've just finished pot-carbing and chilling it up to about 3.25 and now I need to reinoculate and find a warmer spot for it. My bedroom closet?

Andy
Andy Coradeschi
www.CellarmastersLA.org

#7 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:19 PM

Our Merlot has not made it through Malo yet either. In our case I think it is the sulfite level. I am going to pick up some CH35 culture this weekend which is supposed to be much more tolerant of high sulfite, high alcohol and low pH. Temp is sitting at 70F so hopefully this will get it going.

Our 2005 Syrah is good enough to drink right now which just amazes me for such a young wine.

We'll start arranging for our various grapes sometime next month. 500 pound batches worked well for us this last year so I think we'll do the same but just increase the number of varietals that we do.

..Doyle

#8 Andy in SoCal

Andy in SoCal

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Doyle @ Jun 8 2006, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to pick up some CH35 culture this weekend which is supposed to be much more tolerant of high sulfite, high alcohol and low pH. ..Doyle

This sounds like just the stuff I need (alc is at least 15%, ph 3.25), where are you getting it?

Andy
Andy Coradeschi
www.CellarmastersLA.org

#9 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3830 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

Valley Vintner is about a 30 min drive for me and I have also been itching to pickup an Enolmatic. They seem to have the best prices on equipment. He ships and it gets there quickly. I would think there would be some shops in your area that carry it although this time of year a lot of guys are out of stock on some of these items and they don't rebuy until mid summer. Here is a link. You can scan down the page and the Malolactic culures are all together with descriptions. The CH-35 is listed as a culture for difficult whites but their datasheet indicates it can also be used on reds.

http://valleyvintner...ategory_Code=YA

..Doyle

#10 stevec

stevec

Idiot Savant (or perhaps just idiot)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

The people at Valley Vintner are top-notch. I've been ordering from them for a few years now. I'm also seriously considering the Enolmatic filler.

Steve
With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fighting's all about

#11 woodchuckwinemaker

woodchuckwinemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (stevec @ Jun 8 2006, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm also seriously considering the Enolmatic filler.

I was too... until I brought my car to the shop yesterday and they told me it costs $700 to replace the two radiator fans! I told the mechanic, "Do you know how much wine stuff I could buy with that $700?!" Too bad I need a car that doesn't overheat!

#12 fernvally

fernvally

Maker of big messes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Music - Listening and Playing Growing Stuff Travel Old stuff Trying to figure out our kids

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

$700 FOR RADIATOR FANS. Wow thats alot. Wonder what I'm having for dinner tonight?

Just thought I would elude to the path this thread is taking.

How are grapes doing in Cal.

Italy

Assorted winemaking

Valley Vintner

Enolmatic

Radiator fans

Whats for dinner

Thread paths.

Just thought is was funny. Sorry roflmao.gif roflmao.gif roflmao.gif
Dear Lord, Forgive me and thankyou.

#13 Walnut Falls Cellar

Walnut Falls Cellar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I think I'm having steak on the grill if the weather holds out.

I hope the grapes are doing well enough in Calif. I want to buy some in the fall.

#14 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

So far, the crop looks OK. I don't want to sound overly optimistic because we have a long way to go. We are in the final stages of bloom and fruit set is almost complete. The weather has been consistently wrm in the day and cool at night. If we see our seasonal averages all summer, we should be able to ripen most of what is being set now by mid September.

The February heat spell did not do too much damage this year other than making me spray for two extra months. The problems will be next year when the buds from this year push new growth. The disposition of the nodes next year are predetermined now. If the weather is good when the bud is developed, it will be a nice healthy cluster. If the weather sucks now, it will be a leaf or tendrill next year.

BTW, September is a beautiful time of year in Italy. Unfortunately, my travel plans are fozen from Sept. 1- November 15 every year due to harvest and crush season.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#15 HonkingGooseWine

HonkingGooseWine

Napa is for Car Parts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

Every thing is looking good for this years grape crop so far. I have sprayed Stylet oil several times and it has pushed the PM down and out for now. The warm weather has put a little scare in me as one year I had a poor bloom/set because my vines got a little stressed from the heat. So, yesterday I turned on the water for the first time and gave each vine 4 gallons to insure that I get a good bloom/set this year. My Sangiovese is doing it's usual climb to the stars and has shoots 2' or more above my top wire (@ 6' 2").

Frank
HonkingGoose Vineyard and Winery
Sonoma, California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users