• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jwright

jwright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

Have new vines in hot south east texas. After using malathion some leaves were burned on the edges. I need to spray again and am looking for a good mix for a gallon sprayer. The chemicals are malathion (55%) and captan (50% wp) both from HI Yield. Does any one have a suggestion?

Thanks

#2 SLauderdale

SLauderdale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Emergency Medicine<br />Viticulture<br />Winemaking<br />Sailing

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (jwright @ May 28 2006, 12:08 PM)
Have new vines in hot south east texas. After using malathion some leaves were burned on the edges. I need to spray again and am looking for a good mix for a gallon sprayer.  The chemicals are malathion (55%) and captan (50% wp) both from HI Yield. Does any one have a suggestion?

Thanks

Yes don't mix them. I made the mistake and scorched all the greenery off my vines. I can send horrific photographs if needed. Fortunately they have recovered but I also did this during cooler temps about a month ago.

I do not have the source but AFTER I scorched them I read that malathion can break down the waxy leaf surface (hence the burning you already see) and allow the Captan to enter systemically which causes phytotoxicity. It was recommended to me to not use malathion on grapes, use Sevin instead. I'm no expert but I will not repeat that malathion/Captan spray again.

Where in SE texas are you? Curious as I'm originally from Orange.

Sean

#3 jwright

jwright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

Sean
[/quote]

about dayton

Do you use seven in a wet form? I have only used it as a powder.

#4 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13344 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

First, what pest(s) are you trying to control? Malathion can be toxic for a few varieties of grape. Carbaryl (seven) is easier on the vines but harder for me to get in California. Neither are legal for me to spray on my crop without written permission form the coutny ag office. Damn, I hate this state!
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#5 SLauderdale

SLauderdale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Emergency Medicine<br />Viticulture<br />Winemaking<br />Sailing

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

[quote=jwright,May 28 2006, 06:19 PM]

Sean
[/quote]

about dayton
Do you use seven in a wet form? I have only used it as a powder.
[/quote]

I haven't used it yet and I'm not sure what form I would use. After the malathion I haven't seen any pests. Best bet is to check with your local extension office. They have tons of info for your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users