Photo

First Cheese, Sub Lemon Juice Instead Of Citric Acid?

subbing lemon juice for acid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thegabrielj

thegabrielj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fermenting things, growing stuff and rebuilding old motorcycles.. among other things

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

im gonna try this recipe http://www.grapeandg...ymozzarella.pdf
i couldnt find any citric acid could i just use lemon juice?
if so how much? as long as i end up with a decent tasting cheese i dont care if its exactly mozzarella... just close

#2 thegabrielj

thegabrielj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fermenting things, growing stuff and rebuilding old motorcycles.. among other things

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

tried and failed... maybe ill try again tmrw

#3 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:33 AM

You can usually find citric acid in the section where all the canning/jelly making supplies are located. OR, ask at the pharmacy counter. Here is a good site I like to visit: http://biology.clc.u...ese/cheese.html
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

If your usualy ultra pastuerized milk you need you add some calcium chloride otherwise you will have very weak curds.
Using lemon juice for mozz is not a good idea since you need to reach a specific acidity content and PH. with lemon there is far too much variability in the amount of acid vs using citric acid in a recipe which calls for X tsps.
You can also use acid blend if you have it,perhaps use 15% less then required since the blend is stronger then citric acid.

I really suggest using the longer methos with perhaps a yogurt starter (if you dont have DVI), much better flavor then direct acidification but of course the make is much longer.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#5 ShortFuse

ShortFuse

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

I recently made some mozz. I watched a bunch of vids and read a bunch of things. And it turned out pretty tasty...I did use citric acid. Although I wasted my time going Pharmacy stores and GNCs...which did not carry them. I failed to realized that WAIT!!! Im a home brewer!!! and I live literally a mile from Thomas Creek Brewery which has a brew "shop"....got there a minute before they closed...although I used Ultra Pasterized milk that night and my cheese was a failure. LOL. Used good "shake well" organic the next day and it was a success!

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users